||OC.GIBSONBLOCK1918-Archival Lustre Print-16X20
The Gibson Block Building is valued as a rare example of a commercial building following the 1902 prototype of a flatiron building, so named for its distinctive triangular shape. The building design, with Chicago style influences, balances the vertical emphasis of pilasters and windows with the horizontal presentation of the continuous glass shop fronts and first storey and fourth storey cornices. Developed by William Gibson, the Gibson Block Building characterizes the historic wave of prosperity and opportunity at the height of the commercial boom in pre-World War One Edmonton. Originally built to provide first floor retail space and offices on the remaining floors, the building's use has evolved with Edmonton's changing economic fortunes and has included office, retail and for a significant part of the historic period, the well-known Turkish Baths, which closed in 1978.